Wednesday, November 04, 2009

It's all about the who.

I'm very interested in how people react to things, how they approach situations and how they respond differently to similar things.

I remember reading a story about this man who was reminiscing on his childhood. Or maybe it was a piece on the radio. Either way, it was a few years ago I came across this so bear with me. He told of how whenever anything broke, stopped working or happened in their household, the response from his parents was always the same - 'who did this?'.

I don't remember anything like that from my childhood. Ok, my sister and I would probably jump straight in with 'look what Joanna/Julia did!' before our parents even had a chance to ask. Little tattle-tales we were...

This emphasis on 'who', on the blame is the interesting part. He described it as something that coloured his whole childhood. Of course, sometimes the 'who' is important. But isn't a response focused on how to fix things more practical?

I think I very much focus on the fixing rather than blame. People - especially kids - make mistakes. And there is no use in wallowing or worrying about stuff.

Of course, then there's the mistakes you just can't take back. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm on about
silly things, like breaking a vase or spilling your cornflakes.

I'm not 100% sure where I was going with this. This is what I get for taking a break from blogging and watching some Criminal Minds...

No comments: