Saturday, February 19, 2011

05 – A book that makes you happy

I've just been looking at my book shelf and I'm a little bit terrified; there's pretty much only thrillers, murders and mysteries in there! There are a few chick lit books; a few classic novels etc but nothing inherently happy. And no, chick lit isn't happy - it's daft drivel designed to give you a feelgood-glow for the hour or so it takes you to read it but then you're left remembering you're not in fact a heroine in a Miranda Dickinson book and you're not in fact going to be swept off your feet by a handsome rock star who also happens to be incredibly nice, generous and good with kids. And dogs. Sorry to burst your bubble there!

Selection of the library chez Julia.


So what books make me happy? I suppose that's a different question altogether from 'what books do I enjoy reading?'. I'm being asked what my go-to book is when I need cheering up.

Well. Depends on the situation I suppose. But there are two answers:

- Gruesome thrillers. I suppose they remind me that really, things could always be worse.

- Victoria Hislop's The Return. It's one of those love-through-generations epic stories and I'm so pleased I read it.

No comments: