Friday, August 28, 2009

Bus thoughts.

I seem to be spending a lot of my times on buses. A few... stories - though not all that interesting I'm afraid.

#1 but nearly ran over an elderly lady the other day. Granted, she shouldn't have tried to run across the road when the light was red, but the bus didn't slow down at all. It's not like he didn't see her - it was on a looong stretch of road with no traffic, and he found the time to beep his horn for about 10 seconds before getting to the stop.

#2 since the bus has rerouted due to roadworks, it seems men on the buses are even friendlier than normal. In the past week I've been chatted up - or well, something to that effect anyway - twice. Don't get me wrong - I like that Brits are friendly and chatty. But it gets a bit much sometimes. If I have a book in my hand, only reply to you in single syllables and keep looking back down at my book - then I don't want to talk to you.

#3 whilst waiting for the bus the other day I made a new friend. This lady was chatting to me about all sorts of things - mainly her grievances and complaints. But I enjoy complaining so I joined in (damn council! I didn't tell her she was talking to a council employee...). She was telling me how she had been owed some money back (from overpaying council tax, I think it was) so she went to the council and refused to leave until she got her cheque. Sounds like a lot of effort.

#4 we already knew that York traffic is bad. But yesterday afternoon was awful. First bus - roadworks. Second bus was very late. Then it took 20 minutes to get out of town. Then the bus stood still 20 metres from my house for at least 10 minutes because some genius had decided the whold road needed closing because of a bust pipe. And bus driver couldn't let us off cos of 'health and safety'. Love it.

No comments: