Wednesday, October 29, 2008

So town at lunchtime in the middle of half term is... fun. Post office, then bank - don't you envy the day I've had?

Struggling with a lab report at the moment. Not because it's particularly hard but because it's... I dunno. It's an assignment! Lol. Will keep you updated on my progress...

Got a text from mum saying Sterling air have gone bankrupt, so she hoped we haven't booked flights with them... We haven't, luckily!

Speaking of nothing, I've been thinking about the international banking world. So I know there's a recession at the moment but that's got nothing to do with it. Supposedly, the European Union makes movement within the area easier. Well, nothing's working on the financial front. I've had so many problems with banks, money transfers etc. since I got here, and I know a lot of my friends have as well. First of all there are no banks with branches in both Sweden & England but there's not a lot you can do about that. But they make it so difficult. Opening a bank account in the UK takes a lot of effort - one of my friends was charged for opening a standard account! By one of the largest banks as well. It's disgusting tbh, surely the cooperation between the countries in the EU should allow you to open a normal account and also allow banks & other debt collection agencies to chase you if you go back to your own country (which I realise is at present the reason they're so awkward about letting internationals open accounts). There are also big charges (mainly on the UK side actually) for money transfers and similar. There's just a culture of debt and charges - and it's kind of sickening. What also annoys me is that my Swedish card is classed as a credit card over here, when there's no crediting about it. Grr! Bored of it. I'm gonna keep all my money under my mattress from now on.

No comments: