Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"The three first words invented by the Anglosaxons were probably 'dear', 'stove' and 'cunt'." - Comment by my tutor in a discussion on the origin of the word cunt and whether it was used in the 1920's. She often looks at literature and language through a feminist view point, not surprising as she is a woman and I think most women do, consiously or not. It's interesting though, the etymologi of words. I know 'fitta', the swedish word for cunt, means marsh originally. 'Flicka' (girl) is an old word for cunt. Make of that what you want, I'm not going to start talking about patriarchy because I think we all know all we need to know about that!

Woody Allen is a genius. Quotes like "It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." and "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." are just what will make him immortal. Good idea for a birthday present for Julia: Woody Allen books and films.

Spoke to Karin on the phone tonight, for ages. Not sure why, but my friends from home & myself seem to have forgotten the phone is a pretty good means for communication. MSN is handy, sure - and free - but it's not the same. Especially not with this internet connection... I won't say which ISP we're with because they might block me or something, but I will say it's the one with the really rubbish adverts on TV.

Nearly finished the dissertation now. Only need to work on the conclusion a bit, and add a couple of appendices. Still umming and arring about whether to use the extension or not. I guess I could do with reading it through a few times more, but I'm getting to the stage where I just want it handed in. Any suggestions? I could finish it tomorrow, leave it til Tues, read through and do the last, and get it printed and bound on Weds. Urgh, I don't know.

Too tired, hope you've enjoyed!

xx

2 comments:

Dan Poltawski said...

My advice is to finish it sooner and relax. But then, i also used to leave exams early and not spend the remaining time checking stuff.. I like relaxing ;)

Anonymous said...

i really, really, really don't agree. people don't know enough about patriarchy - nothing at all, in some cases! I didn't know that about flicka... don't even know what to think of it. is it, or is it not, the same word in, like... arabic? i heard that a long time ago. you don't happen to know about the origin, ms. perfect-word-knower?